The southernmost Baltic state – Lithuania is the largest and the most populous country. The capital of the country is Vilnius – a beautiful and picturesque city that is located on the banks of two rivers – Neris and Vilnia. Lithuania is situated in a strategic location between East and West Europe and has a very complicated history.
Lithuania is famous for its culinary export – the cold beet soup. Lithuanian culture is a legacy of its history and has both – a respect for the traditions and a will to innovate and incorporate new things. Lithuania is a member of both NATO and EU.
Lithuania is a country that has a long history of excellent education standards and regal universities. The Vilnius University, which was founded in the year 1579 is a testimony to this. It is a huge Renaissance style complex and houses innumerable inner courtyards – almost like a tiny city within Vilnius city. Lithuanian education standards are very high and a degree from Lithuanian universities will open many new doors for you.
Why study in Lithuania?
The first university in Eastern Europe was set up in Lithuania and since then, Lithuania has been a center of learning. People come here from all over the world not only for the amazing architecture but also for its high academic standards. Lithuania is an ideal country to pursue higher education and there are many reasons why you should study in Lithuania.
Lithuanians are friendly and educated and you will enjoy your stay in Lithuania. Moreover, as Lithuania is a member of the EU, a degree from Lithuania is equivalent to that from any other European country. Lithuania has also signed agreements with over 16 countries regarding academic exchanges. Although public schools use Lithuanian as a medium of instruction, other languages can also be used if the students or teachers are foreigners or if the curriculum demands it.
Lithuanian government funds the education of the best graduates and they are not required to pay the tuition fee. Although every Lithuanian university has its own fee, students can avail the State sponsored loan to cover it. The state funded seats – fifty at universities and another fifty at schools are available for the permanent residents of the Economic Area and the European Union as well as foreigners with permanent residence in Lithuania. A one-year equalizing course in the Lithuanian language can also be arranged at the Universities for foreign students who wish to learn the language.
Costs of studying in Lithuania
- Living costs in Lithuania are considerably less than the other countries of the European Union and you can enjoy the benefit of an education from an EU country without paying the hefty costs. Lithuania has many places for tourists so you will have plenty to occupy your free time. A degree from Lithuania will help you gain a job all over the world. Lithuania is one of the best places to pursue higher education.
- Tuition fees at Higher Education institutions in Lithuania vary depending on each university, specific study programme and the academic stage the student is at. On average, the studies in Lithuania cost:
- Undergraduate bachelor’s degree – $2500 to $6,000/ yr.
Postgraduate Master’s Degree – $3,000 to $7,000/yr.
- One striking advantage for those who choose to study in Lithuania is the remarkably low cost of living. Student accommodation can be had for as little as 100 to 200EUR per month. All in all, including food, books and leisure activities, students can easily get by on a budget of 500 EUR per month or less.
- Dormitory/flat rent 60-300 EUR
- Food 150-300 EUR
- Learning aid 20-40 EUR
- Leisure 100-300 EUR
A survey which was carried out in 2019 has shown monthly expenses of international students:
- 41% spent ~ 300 Eur/month.
- 46% spent 300-500 Eur/month.
- 9% spent 500-700 Eur/month.
- 4% spent more than 700 Eur/month.
Famous Cities and universities in Lithuania
Lithuania is a lively, rapidly growing country, which has experienced several cultural and economic changes since becoming independent from the Soviet Union in 1990. Visit the best cities in Lithuania and you will find a vibrant social life. In Vilnius, the capital city, plus some other countless natural reserves, national parks, coastal areas, and several splendid beaches spread across our wonderful country. Sincerely proud of their country, Lithuanians are very hospitable and welcoming to visitors. Famous cities are Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipėda
- Vilnius – Vilnius is one of the biggest and largest cities in Lithuania. It is classified as a Gamma global city and located in the country’ s south-eastern part. Vilnius is well-known for its Old Town architecture. This architecture was inscribed in 1994 as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city is also famous for the name called “Jerusalem of Lithuania.” It is because of Jewish influence on the cityscape of Vilnius.
- Kaunas – Kaunas is the second biggest and major city in Lithuania. Kaunas is a leading economic, cultural, and academic center in the country. Kaunas is located where the waters of the two rivers Nemunas and the Neris merge. The Kaunas Reservoir, the largest body of water in the country is also located near the city. Food and beverage, publishing and processing, metal, wood processing, chemical, textile, etc., are the major industries active in Kaunas. Moreover, the city organizes several small and large festivals, cultural events, and celebrations all year round.
- Klaipėda – Klaipėda is the third-largest Lithuanian city and Klaipėda County’s capital. This best city in Lithuania is of immense national importance due to it being a usually ice-free port at the Akmena-Danė River’s mouth. Klaipėda is a very charming city because of its features a majestic harbor, plus several fun entertainment and spectacular architecture options.
Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (VGTU)
Kaunas university of technology
Lithuanian University of Health Sciences
Vytautas Magnus University (VMU)
ISM University of Management and Economics
Mykolas Romeris University (MRU)
Popular courses to study in Lithuania
All the 350+ English-taught study programmes in Lithuania are evaluated according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), with each year of study being awarded with 60 ECTS credits. University degrees are offered in three cycles:
- the first cycle is undergraduate (Bachelor’s)
- the second cycle is graduate (Master’s, and/or specialized professional studies)
- the third one is postgraduate (PhD/Doctoral, residency, postgraduate in the Arts)
- Art & Design
- Computer Science & IT
- Engineering & Technology
- General Studies
- Health & Well-Being
- Humanities & Culture
- Media & Communications
- Teaching & Education
- Tourism & Hospitality
- Register: Register with us.
- Profiling: We assess academic qualifications, work experience, financial status, career goals as well as life interests and aspirations.
- Standardized Tests: We evaluate the requirement of any standardized tests you may need to take or review results that has been already obtained.
- University/Course Selection: Together, we shortlist potential countries, universities and courses that match your profile.
- Document Editing: We edit essays, Statement of Purpose, Letters of Recommendation and Resume, which have been written by you.
- Application Review and Submission: The completed application forms are reviewed before they are submitted to your final choice of universities.
- Interview Preparation: We assist in preparation (including mock sessions) for the interviews that you may have with the chosen universities.
- Visa Counselling: We assist in preparation (including mock sessions) for the interviews that you may have with the High Commissions or Embassies, as well as the collation and review of relevant documentation for submission of the visa application.
- Pre-Departure Information: We deliver comprehensive information about the country of choice to ensure that you are completely prepared for life at an overseas university.
To acquire the student visa, you must have enrolled in a course of study in Lithuania and show evidence of your financial capacity to pay the course fee and support yourself throughout your stay.
A person who a student is arriving in the Republic of Lithuania to the successive full-time studies a higher education establishment operating in the Republic of Lithuania should apply for a multiple entry national visa D, which could be applied for only at Lithuanian Embassy.
- Completed and signed application form, 1 recent passport photo 35×45 colorful, with white background.
- A legal travel document – passport (containing at least 2 blank pages, issued within the previous 10 years, its period of validity must exceed the validity period of the requested visa by at least six months).
- Valid health insurance, covering the extent of stay, and its copy. The amount of medical insurance coverage – LTL 20 000 (EUR 5792, 40).
- A confirmed Air ticket reservation.
- Mediation letter from the higher educational institution in Lithuania.
- Registration documentation of the educational institution in Lithuania.
- Means of subsistence (150 EUR for every month of planned stay) in the Republic of Lithuania (minimum last 3 months original bank account statements/ pay slips etc.; in case of sponsorship – Affidavit of Sponsorship from parents/relatives and their bank account statements for minimum 3 months).
- Get approval within 15 days.
- Collect passport from embassy.
- Get ready for your new destination.